Rice is such a versatile food item!
It is perfect for an elaborate spread when you have visitors coming over. It is apt for a lazy Saturday movie night, when all you want to do is curl up on your couch and have an effortless dinner. And when there is leftover rice in your fridge, you never sigh and say — oh rice, again. Instead, you think of a million new things you can make with it! Curd rice and lemon rice has been so overdone at my home that I come up with new and improved versions of rice dinners, ever so often.
Take this cauliflower rice, for instance.
- Cauliflower : finely chopped; 1 cup
- Onion : chopped; 1/2 cup
- Ginger : minced; 1 teaspoon
- Garlic : minced; 1 teaspoon
- Green chillies : slit; 1-2
- Rice : cooked; 1 cup
- Egg : 1
- Turmeric, red chilly powder, garam masala : 1/4 teaspoon each
- Cumin seeds : a pinch
- Oil : 1 tablespoon
- Salt : a pinch
- Heat the pan, add oil and splutter cumin seeds. Add cauliflower, onions, ginger, and garlic and saute. Add turmeric, red chilly, and garam masala and mix well. Cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Add egg into the pan, scramble and mix well.
- Now add rice and toss lightly. Make sure you do not break the delicate rice grains. Mix until the cauliflower masala has been evenly spread
- Finally, add salt and cook for another 5minutes.
Serve cauliflower rice with some pickle and pappadam on the side. Enjoy!
Preethi is a photographer, content designer, traveler, and food blogger. She is a trained journalist and editor. After ten years of corporate life (as an instructional designer, author, editor, children’s writer, AND a cub reporter), she got off the grind to do her thing. When she is not scouring for recipe inspirations and taking photographs, she likes to read, write, and sing. She is passionate about Malayalam movies and is fiercely proud of her Indian roots. Preethi is also one half of the husband-wife team of shutterbugs who form PA Photography. For more of Preethi’s recipes, visit: blackhairedgenie.com