Bringing up a single child is a different experience compared to bringing up more children. However, research proves that there is not much difference between single children and children with siblings. In fact it is not the number that matters but the loving and nurturing environment a child gets is more important. Most of the single children are highly independent, interactive, self confident and loving if brought up in a positive environment.
There are an increasing number of parents who opt for only one child to give their best to their single child. Single child parents need to be very careful in the parenting style.
- Keep a balanced behavior while bringing up a single child. Donâ€™t be very strict or very permissive
- Do not try to over protect your child. Allow appropriate freedom as the child grows up
- Invite your childâ€™s close friends to your home once in a week and provide them with an environment to play and do things together
- Do not give high expectations for the child being the only one. Give him what is needed like proper education, good books, a few toys etc.
- Do not compare your child with other children. Every child is unique.
- Give maximum support to your child in all his/her activities.
- Train your child in one or two activities that he or she can do all alone.
- Learn to say NO wherever required.
- Encourage your child in all aspects of his life.
- Try to appreciate all the good things he/she does.
Having one child is not at all different from having two. It is the family environment that influences how a child turns out.Tags: parenting, single child, tips