New Delhi, March 12 (IANS) Factfile on new schemes in the offing to ensure livelihood security as enunciated by President Pratibha Patil during her joint address to parliament on the opening day of the budget session:
* Soon-to-be-launched national urban livelihood mission for imparting large-scale skill upgradation, entrepreneurship development, wage employment and self-employment opportunities.
* Integrated child development services will be restructured and financially strengthened during the 12th Five Year Plan (2012-17). While at the heart of the scheme’s revamp is addressing malnutrition, a new multi-sectoral nutrition programme will be launched in 200 high-burden districts focusing on maternal and child nutrition needs.
* Major amendments in the child labour act to prohibit employment of children under the age of 14.
* New legislation to safeguard and promote the livelihood of street vendors.
* National mission for teachers to improve teacher’s education and faculty development in the education system.
* New bill for eliminating manual scavenging and insanitary latrines. The bill aims at providing proper rehabilitation of manual scavengers in alternative occupations to enable them lead a life of dignity.
* New legislation being considered for the disabled to replace the existing act. A separate department of disability affairs is also proposed to be set up for greater focus on addressing issues confronting the disabled.
* National council for senior citizens being set up as a participatory forum.
* National programme to be launched for the urban homeless to create a network of composite shelters in urban local bodies, with adequate provisions for housing and food for the destitute.
* E-auction of 839 FM radio channels in 245 cities to expand the reach of radio services to small towns and remote areas such as the northeast and Jammu and Kashmir.