Rio de Janeiro, April 15 (IANS) Former Brazil striker Adriano has been released from hospital and is ready to begin rehabilitation after a second operation on his left Achilles tendon.
Hospital Barra D’Or in Rio de Janeiro released a statement Saturday saying the former Inter Milan and Roma forward’s surgery had been a success.
Medical staff said Friday’s procedure was required because Adriano’s foot had failed to heal after the first operation early last year.
Adriano is currently without a club after being sacked by Corinthians in March.
Flamengo, which won the 2009 Brazilian league with Adriano, says it will monitor the player’s recovery before deciding whether to offer him a contract.
“Next week he will have another exam and start physiotherapy,” Flamengo’s head doctor Jose Luiz Runco was quoted as saying by Xinhua.
“He knows the importance of taking care of himself and doing all the physio work needed. He also needs to control his weight because that can compromise his recovery.”
The surgery will sideline the forward for at least three months, Runco added.
Adriano has scored 27 goals in 48 internationals matches for Brazil.