Rio de Janeiro, April 7 (IANS) Former Inter Milan and Roma striker Adriano insists he can still be a part of Brazil’s 2014 World Cup campaign despite another injury setback. The 30-year-old announced he would undergo surgery to repair Achilles tendon damage to his left foot.
The operation will keep him sidelined for at least another three months.
“I will have the surgery and then decide what I’m going to do with my life,” Adriano was quoted as saying by Xinhua.
“My idea is to recover as well as I can because I still dream of returning to play with Flamengo and the national team.”
Adriano was last month sacked by Corinthians – his seventh professional club in 12 years – after just seven games with the Sao Paulo outfit.
His release came amid reports the forward had failed to commit to a strict training regime designed to reduce his weight.
Adriano, who has scored 27 goals from 48 appearances for Brazil, admitted he had contemplated retirement in recent months.
“I have spoken with my family and my mother told me to stop playing. I said that it is not the time to stop. I have been out for a long time. We must be sure. I will have the surgery and then see how things are.”
Adriano’s decision to operate came on the recommendation of Flamengo medical staff. The Rio club will monitor his recovery before deciding whether to offer him a new contract.