These days, it is the concern of almost every parent to control the childâ€™s addiction to playing video games. In the positive sense, they are just recreation for children. However, most of the modern kids spend excessive amount of time with video games. This is an alarming situation as it can affect the emotional as well as intellectual aspects of children and so parents need to be very careful in dealing with such kids.
If your child starts expressing poor social skills you need to be watchful about his computer activities. If he spends long hours playing online games he might prefer an isolated life. He would cut relationship with peers and relatives. Besides, he would develop mood swings and get easily furious on small issues. There is a possibility of neglecting cleanliness as he is too much engaged in playing video games. Irregular sleep is another outcome. He will ignore his duties at home and school. The main problem would be his lack of interest in studies.
As a parent, you have to get involved if the above mentioned traits are evident in his character. There are a few practical measures you can try to control your childâ€™s addiction to video games.
- Fix a time for your childâ€™s computer activities.
- If he deviates from the time table punish him moderately by denying his favourite things.
- Try to keep the computer where you can keep an eye on your child while using it.
- Engage your child in family activities whenever possible so that he could feel the warmth of togetherness.
- Encourage team games like football or cricket.
- Make sure that the child completes his homework and other school assignments in time.
- Do not allow him to play video games for a week or so if he performs poor in studies.
- Go for outings with your child during weekends so that he is naturally denied chances to work with computer.
Remember, video games are good if used moderately, but adverse if not controlled.Tags: children, parenting, video games