Guwahati, April 27 (IANS) At least four people fell ill after consuming wild mushrooms at Borhat under Sonari police station in Upper Assam’s Sibsagar district Friday.
The four ill persons belong to one family, police said adding that the condition of two of them, identified as Palas and Jyoti was stated to be serious.
“They had cooked mushrooms for the meal. Four persons of the family complained of stomach pain and vomiting after having the meal,” Nabin Karki, a neighbour informed.
“The mushrooms were collected from the neighbouring forests, where they grow in abundance. Perhaps they had collected poisonous mushrooms. We took them to the hospital immediately and the doctors termed it to be a case of food poisoning,” Karki said.
Consuming wild mushrooms is very common among people in the area, a predominantly tea -growing region of Assam. Lots of people fall sick every year after consuming wild mushrooms.