Fruits that are not a part of the local produce have made their way to the markets around the world. Have you ever thought how these fruits stay fresh over the great distances that they travel? The answer is chemicals or preservatives that increase their shelf life. In many cases you find that fruits are plucked and transported raw to the market where they are chemically treated to ripen. Another common example is the chicken that we eat. The varieties that we get in the market are fed on a diet of hormones which help the bird reach maturity in just 50days where this would normally take over 8 months.
If the chemicals used on these fruits, vegetables and animals can make such effects, think of their impact on human health. This is why we need to be vigilant on what we eat as this can help us to a great extent in reducing a lot of diseases.
An effective option to be safe on the food we eat is choosing organic food. It is ignored by us as it is more expensive than the same alternative available in the market. The main reason for this is as follows. Most of the farms that have turned organic today were using chemicals on a large scale. For proper returns to be seen from organic farming it would take at least two years and during this period the farmer finds that his yield and returns are not up to the mark. Hence, he increases the price of his product under the label organic. However, a lot of us can help in reducing the price on account of creating a demand for organic products by buying more and more such food items. In due course, the farmers will have to bring down their prices in view of the competition from similar kind of farmers.
There are a few watchful steps we can take up in order to safeguard our family health.
- Fruits and vegetables are seasonal and hence stick to eating those that are available in the particular season rather than opting for fruits that may not be available in the season.
- Try to purchase fruits and vegetables grown in the local area and if possible, try to purchase them from the farmer directly.
- Try to eat fresh food because it contains more of nutrients and vitamins than processed foods. Food processing destroys the chemical composition of the fruits thereby reducing the nutritional value of the food.
- If possible try to grow your own food in your back garden and then you can be 100% sure that you are not using any chemicals. Utilize all the space that is available for this.
- Wash fruits and vegetables properly before consuming. Soak them in fresh water for at least 30 minutes if they are not bought locally.